Archive for August, 2012

10.8 upgrade/install on my hackintosh

Saturday, August 11th, 2012

With 10.8 coming out, I took the opportunity to migrate my OS installation from a traditional hard drive to an SSD.  (Specifically, I installed a 256GB Samsung 830-series drive).  I followed the general approach over at tonymac (I bought 10.8 online, then used his Unibeast wrapper to build an install-from-USB stick), modified for my setup.  The installation of 10.8 to my SSD went swimmingly, but I noticed something odd – I needed to upgrade my version of Chimera (the Chameleon bootloader fork), as the previous version I’d been using without problem on 10.7 just barfed.  (It rebooted immediately after starting to boot anything 10.8).  But that was easy to fix by updating my version of Chimera (which I do manually, since my loader is on its own partition on a separate drive & the tonymac auto-install tools tend to screw that up).  Of course, I also had to install fakesmc & wanted to get rid of the orange icons for my hard drives, so I also installed the ahci port-injector kext.  But, that was it.  I much prefer not to use “Multibeast” for post-installation, because it tends to crap out kexts all over that I don’t want — and which could lead to problems across software updates.  (I also just like to know exactly what’s installed).

During installation, I did a fresh, full install.  I did not do any kind of upgrade.  (In fact, my 10.7 installation is still intact on my hard drive).  However, I did want to keep my old user accounts with as little fuss as possible.  So, I took note of the user ID, group ID, and UUID settings for each of my accounts as established in 10.7.  Then in 10.8, I first created accounts corresponding to each of the existing user accounts.  But before ever logging in to those accounts, I went in and changed the user/group/uuid settings (and obviously the home directory setting, to point it to the location on the old hard drive where the user data sits).  This made for a seamless transition – accounts log in & have all of their old settings as they previously did, but I get awesome speed from having my OS and applications on the SSD.

Using xbench, I see speeds of between 350 & 425 MB/s, which is about what I expected.  It doesn’t approach the peak speeds that the interface and the disk support, but that’s because of the controller I have it sitting on.  My Gigabyte X58-based board only has a Marvell SATA3 controller, which is somewhat notorious for its inefficiency, bad drivers, and limited architecture.  Further, the Gigabyte implementation is apparently flawed & only has the controller connected to a single PCIe lane on a PCIe 1.0 link.  This limits the theoretical throughput to 250 MB/s.  So, I bought an add-in card (an Asmedia ASM1061) for about $10 on Amazon.  It’s a single-lane card as well, but installing it in to a PCIe 2.0 slot will up the theoretical throughput peak to 500 MB/s.  (This controller works out-of-the-box without any additional drivers/kexts required).  The only real problem with my resultant setup is that I’d also like this on Windows, but I have about 300 GB of applications (games – thanks, Steam sales!) on top of the Windows requirement, and I don’t really want to mess around with uninstalling/reinstalling games as I use them.  So for Windows, I’ll wait for prices to drop some more & pick up a 512 GB SSD at some time in the future.  Given that it’s been more than 2 years since I did any kind of major hardware tweak to this machine, it probably won’t be any time soon anyway.